Friday, November 12, 2004

Student Loans, Rich Kids, University and Insomnia

So, my younger brother got home yesterday, he drove all the way from HALIFAX!! Crazy kid, he left at like 5am and got here around, 10:30?? Something like that, anyways, I was chatting with him today, and was trying to tell me that only rich kids go to Dalhousie, followed by, all the rich kids in Ontario, go to "Dal". I'm sorry, I guess he forgot I went to WESTERN! So, to say the least, I corrected him, Western isn't just called a Country club because it used to be a golf course! Which leads me to my title... Upon arriving at Western, I thought the same as probably 80% of the people (like me - as in, not rich) that I was few and far between at UWO, that I was probably only one of maybe a few hundred students that was on OSAP, and that was going into debt.... RIGHT AWAY! Now, I'm not tryin to put people that are not on OSAP in the category of 'rich kid', cause there are lots of students that worked their butts off and saved their money, and work during the school year, so that they don't go in debt, and that some parents are very generous to their kids with helping w/ tuition and such... BUT, then there are those that stand out... you know who I'm talkin about. Those kids that go to Uni, wear all the latest fashions, drive cars.... that well, my student debt wouldn't even be able to pay for 1/4 of what some of those cars are worth, and go out 3 times a week.... ALL 4 years that they are in University... that is if they can stay in that long. Yes, I am talking about those people. BUT, thats about as far as I'm going to go with that, cause in all reality, I don't care.

Though, it did seem to bother my brother a little bit, since he had gone to private school with a bunch of rich kids, and he was kind of sick of all the fakeness, and people trying to be something or someone that they are not, and he was telling me he was like the only one their that wasn't loaded like the rest of 'em. I just told him about my trip to the OSAP line at Western, boy, was I amazed. These were people just like me! At the country club, waiting in line for money that will take us less than 8 months to spend, and the better part of it gone as fast as you get your papers signed! Wicked! So yeah, thats my speal about rich kids at uni. I guess my whole 'Blog' if you will, is that sometimes the rich kids stand out, cause they are the ones that are craving attention, and at first get it, but as time goes... well, you know the rest. I'll take my friends over money anyday... (why is that line kind of ringing a bell?? hmmmm I wonder.....)

To say the least, I loved Western as you can probably tell, cause everytime I write the word Western I've actually taken the time to change the colour to Purple. Pathetic, yes, I know, but thats ok, I'm allowed to be proud, I spent a fair share of the Ontario Governments money on it, and now I get to pay it back... joy

And last but not least insomnia... kind of where I sit right now... Not to the point of me being actually diagnosed with insomnia, but its just been a weird three weeks, and my clocks all messed up, so I just added insomnia to the title for drama... everyone likes a bit of drama, it gets you interested, it gets you reading... if you've read this far, congratulations, you haven't fallen asleep... note: neither have I, which is why I'm still writing...

Cheers,
Ryan

p.s. Thank you to all those people that had me in their hearts and minds this past week, your thoughts and prayers have not gone unnoticed.

p.p.s.s. I've been in all these peoples thoughts and my nose has been itching like crazy

No comments: